Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Year so far in a 5 Mile Radius

Its hard to believe it is already May. I know I say this with every month that comes along, but this one is especially crazy. Bri had her last class of her first year of grad school today. By all accounts, she won't be living in the the same state as me at the start of next month. It is an interesting time of life.
The other day at work, I was thinking back on the year so far, and I came to a kind of startling realization: I have been no farther than 5 miles from my apartment at any point during 2008. Stop and think about that, it is now May, and I have travelled no farther than 5 miles in any direction. Bri and I flew back from MN on the last day of '07, and that drive marks the last time I was outside the town of Ithaca. In some ways, this is a pretty exciting discovery. I have not felt confined at all, I have enjoyed this time, and I have been very busy. To top it off, I have avoided excess driving and having to pay $3.60+ per gallon on gas. It feels like Ithaca is starting to have an effect on the way I view the world. At any other time in my life, I would feel extremely confined, and be going out of my mind, now, it is something I am proud of.
This will all change soon. With the warmer weather upon us and Bri's impending departure, I am sure to get further away from town, but for now, I am proud to challenge anyone to beat this little story.

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Does Bri know where she will be this summer yet?

Jeff and Lisa Olson said...

where is she going!?