Monday, April 21, 2008

A Wii and a Protest

Its time for a random update. As some of you might know, it was my b-day about two weeks ago, I got some cash, and after some prompting from Bri, decided to buy a Wii. It turns out that they are still really hard to get ahold of these days. After a week of searching, I located one on Craigslist and made an offer. The seller accepted and I made arrangements to pick it up. Turns out, the only time he was available was after 10 PM. So, last Wednesday night, Bri and I drove up the hill, and I bought a Wii in a dark parking lot, with cash, from a nerdy college student. The whole drive home Bri and I were laughing at the absurdity of the whole deal. The whole thing was legit, but it felt so shady. Good times.

In other completely random news, the store I work at was protested on Saturday during my shift. About 20-30 people made their way into the store around 2 PM and began picking up chairs, tables, lamps, bottles of water, bags of coffee, and anything else they could get their hands on. At first, they were just reading the labels, or something. Then, the leader began a type of call and response, condemning us for destroying a forest in order to have chairs and tables and the such in the store. The creepy thing was that all the other protesters were calling back Amen! and Hallelujah! The whole thing lasted about 20 minutes, and finally they all filed out of the store as the leader yelled at customers to evaluate where they spend their money. About five minutes after they left, the police finally showed up. Through the whole thing, my store manager was trying to politely request that they at least put the tables, chairs, lamps, etc down and not yell at customers, but he was completely ignored.
I can't say I am surprised. In many ways, this fits the mentality of Ithaca. I will say I was disappointed though. I expected a protest in Ithaca to be better thought out, and more useful. In the end, the protest felt inflammatory and pretty much lacked any sense of tact.

In a completely unrelated side note, I picked up the new Cloud Cult album over the weekend, and it is amazing. I highly recommend it.

No comments: