Thursday, April 10, 2008

Springtime has arrived!


It is about 60 degrees and sunny here, and I have to say, I enjoy spring in Ithaca. Unlike Minneapolis, there is no freak, end of winter/early spring snow storm. Maybe a couple of inches in the end of March, but nothing massive. While everyone kept joking/muttering about being prepared for the winters here, I am beginning to realize that it is simply the complaining of a few people who can't hack it out here.
Anyway, it has been a busy week here. While I still don't have an internship yet, much progress has been made on this front. I started receiving several emails earlier this week in response to the plethora of applications I sent out, and they wanted to interview me this week. So, I have just completed two phone interviews today for internships. I always think that phone interviews are a little weird, you just have to guess what the other person thinks of your response based on their tone of voice or next question. Granted, the pressure level isn't quite the same as an in-person interview (after all, I was sitting in jeans and an old Bethel t-shirt for the phone interviews), but there isn't the immediate satisfaction of: Yes! Good answer! when you get a smile that seems to indicate understanding. I am also looking at setting up an independent executive level internship at a foundation in Minneapolis, so I am going to speak with the director next week about that possibility. Next week will be busy, as it sounds like I will be doing follow up interviews for both internships.
On top of the busy week in terms of internships, it was Cody's birthday on Tuesday, and we decided to celebrate. It wasn't the same as the birthday bbq celebrations of the last few years, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Instead, we got burritos at the Ithaca equivalent of Chipotle and went outside to eat them in the park across the street from our apartment. In the evening we went out to the Chapter House for some drinks and the chance to listen to the Irish music. It was a good day (even if I did pull an all-nighter that night to finish an exam due at noon the next day).
And now off to do some statistics work-- I know you all are jealous!
--brianna

No comments: