Monday, April 21, 2008

A Protest Revisited

Before you read this, read my previous post, it will add some context.
As it turns out, the leader of the protest held in our store on saturday was this guy. He came on Friday to lead a concert/protest in the town commons, and then came to our store on Saturday. The really funny thing is that he made the front page of the local paper! I think it is hilarious that my manager was mentioned by name, but also a little sad that they didn't give much context to why the police were called. Let me tell you, this guy is intense. A lot of people in our store, including myself, felt threatened and nervous when they came in. There was no explanation or warning from them, they just grabbed our stuff and started talking.
In some ways, having more context to the event is helpful. I was really disappointed on Saturday to think that this was something put together by locals, because I had thought that I lived in a town that approached this with a lot more class and intelligence. It is encouraging to know that it was somebody from outside of town that came up with this. I won't lie, our store is out of place in a town with this much of a world/environmental/small town/organic conscience, but seems pointless to protest the whole company in a context like this. It seems odd to attack customers, who on a basic level, probably agree with your point, but don't agree with the inflammatory methods. It seems like it will only turn people against your cause.

My final thought: I feel famous to have been in the same cafe as a guy who had a documentary made about him!

No comments: