Monday, January 28, 2008

Shopping (for classes)


So, the process of finding classes has continued. After a week of attending macroeconomics (officially known as Intermediate Macroeconomic Theory), and spending a small fortune on the three textbooks for the class, I dropped the class last night. On Friday I discovered that all of the homework will be calculus based, and me, the good philosophy major that I was at Bethel, took Creative Problem Solving at Bethel. So, after contemplating the prospect of pulling out my hair for several hours in the attempt to teach myself calculus to complete the homework that was due today-- I dropped the class and signed up for International Trade Policy instead. Thus far, that seems like an incredibly wise decision. The class so far is interesting, and the professor is so genuinely excited about the material that I have seen her jump up and down in class.
While I feel somewhat guilty about dropping a class rather than living up to a challenge, it was pointed out to me that really, I am just taking classes that meet my strengths, rather than one's that magnify my weaknesses (like my lack of calculus knowledge). So, I am adjusting to this prospect. Statistics so far is good (which I wasn't expecting), and the Community Development seminar seems cool. We are actually taking a trip to Newark, NJ for Community Development, and it's even over Valentine's Day and the weekend. Woo hoo! Nothing like spending time in Newark for a romantic weekend (particularly because I will be there without Cody).
And, on another note which is somewhat related-- I think I am going to NYC at the end of February-- there may not be as much free time as I am hoping for (it's a trip though my program, which is looked at as a professional development trip), but I am looking forward to it. This whole grad school thing has been an adjustment, but so far this semester is looking to be much more interesting than last semester, which is a good sign.

No comments: