Wednesday, September 26, 2007

What I'm Listening To

Time to switch it up a bit. I can't say my music horizon has been infinitely widened since leaving the cities, but some new material has found its way to my ears. Tom Waits continues to bow me away on a regular basis. Having only found his music in the last year, I am still working my way through his massive back catalog. My most recent finds, his cover of "Somewhere" from "West Side Story." Instrumentally, it is a pretty traditional, straight-forward take on the song. Vocally, however, is anything but traditional, Waits' rough, gravelly crooning brings a whole new element to the love song. I highly recommend it if you can get your hands on it.

In other exciting music news, Peter & the Wolf has released a new EP. For those of you not familiar, Peter & the Wolf is the name of Red Hunter's band of pieced together musicians from Austin, TX. "The Ivori Palms" was recorded while Red was living as a vagabond in Canada and recorded on a four track. I have yet to hear the whole thing, but the tracks I have heard are wonderful. It is a bit of a step aside from the country/folk of "Lightness," but it is by no means a misstep. It is more experiemental, varied in instrumentation and it has slightly more layered vocals. If you ever get the chance to hear any of their work, do it. You won't be dissapointed.

One of these days I will post the tracks from my first Ithaca mix.

Sidenote: Bri and I will be in MN from next Thursday night through Sunday morning for a wedding (the 11-14). We are attempting to find a time to get together with a group of people, but are still not exactly sure if it will be Thursday after we get in, or at another time. Let me know if you are going to be around and want to get together.

No comments: