Thursday, September 6, 2007

The BQE

For anyone who really knows me, it is understood that I have basically no desire to go to New York City. Only a couple reasons have come to mind that have made me remotely interested in making the now much shorter trek down to that frightening. Mainly those have been the chace to see a taping of The Daily Show or The Colbert Report. The fact that Colbert is going to be at Cornell later this fall made me think that I might be able to rid myself of any reason to ever visit the city. That was before I decided to visit the Asthmatic Kitty website to see what Sufjan Stevens is up to these days. Lo and behold, I find out that he is doing a three night concert at the Brooklyn Academy of Music.
Now, this is not just some regular, run of the mill Sufjan concert, which would be something in and of itself, no, this is a performance of an avant garde, slightly programatic, I am not quite sure, nor is anyone else, how to describe it piece. I mean, c'mon, it includes video and pictures of Brooklyn, Queens and a freeway accompanied by music composed based on those places. I know many people are sick of Sufjan and think he has got a little full of himself, but I am transfixed. The fact that he describes the piece as being somewhere between Impressionist, Copeland or John Williams increases my interest exponentially.
So, maybe it is good I am poor. That way my excuse is made easy. I can't afford to go, thus, my greatest motivation to ever visit the city is negated by the fact that I need a job.

http://asthmatickitty.com/news.php?newsID=203

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, man, you and Bri would enjoy a walk in Central Park or Washington Square. And I'm guessing with all the museums -- historical, scientific, art, etc. -- there's one on which you both could agree.

I just applied to three more jobs yesterday. I like the searching part: the applying process is a pain in the arse though. Good luck.