Thursday, November 1, 2007

A Year

One year ago this week, I turned in my two weeks notice at Bethel. It is odd/eeire/cool/exciting/scary/etc. to see how much impact one single decision can have on life. In the last year I have been unemployed for a total of 5 months. I had my first employment in a field that I truly wanted to work in (Crosswinds Chruch). I had what could arguably be my least favorite job yet (Dunn Bros.). I got engaged. I got married. I moved 1000 miles.

I remember being scared and excited when I finally decided to quit at Bethel. I knew it would mean a huge change in my life. In a way, I saw it as a catagorical shift in thinking and my approach to life. The last year has been amazing. The last year has been extremely difficult. To be honest, I can't remember any other year in my life that has hand in hand been as rewarding and as trying. The stress of trying to find a job, twice. Planning a wedding, planning a move. Some days I feel like I am still trying to recover from it all.

Bri and I had a conversation when I quit, I said that someday I would realize all the benefits to working at Bethel that I couldn't see at the end. I readily admit that I miss the paycheck. As little as it was, it is still more than I have been able to find since. But more than that, I miss the people. I miss students, I miss coworkers and I miss the people of Bethel. I miss conversations about life that were meaningful and thoughtful. I do not miss my office! (Or the presidents office).

I hope the next year is as good, and maybe a little less trying. I think that may be asking a lot. Ithaca is beginning to feel like home most days. On the good days, it seems like a pretty amazing place to live. On the other hand, on the bad days, it seems like the worst place in the world, and all the beauty of nature cannot change how much it drives me nuts.

No comments: