Thursday, October 2, 2008

Presidential Elections and Debates

I am currently watching the Vice Presidential debates. I watched the first Presidential debate last Friday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Tonight however, not so much. I have definitive opinions when it comes to politics-- I am not wishy-washy when it comes to this election. I am wholly supportive of women in politics, and wish that there were more women involved in the political arena. However, Sarah Palin is driving me a bit crazy. I don't think she is the best choice as a vice presidential for John McCain, who I have a lot of respect for.
Sarah Palin is not reassuring me tonight on her ability to lead a country, or being the second in command. She is not making the verbal mistakes that she has been criticized for earlier this week in the interviews with Katie Couric, but she seems to be sticking to the talking points that have been prepared for her ahead of time. While I acknowledge that everyone does this to an extent, I think she is avoiding questions by changing the subject when she gets uncomfortable to an extent that isn't really showing me who she is, or reassuring me on her capabilities to lead this nation in the precarious situation we are currently in.
I will admit that I get sucked into politics-- I majored in political science in college, spent a semester studying in Washington DC in the fall of 2005 with an internship for a government commission. Even now, I am getting a degree that focuses on working for the government-- a master's degree in public administration. I am passionate about the country that we live in, and think that Sarah Palin frightens me as having control over our international relations.
--brianna

No comments: