Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Moving Quickly Through the Semester

Pre-registration for next semester began this week. It was bizarre to realize that this upcoming semester will be my last one at Cornell. I feel like I just got here, which in many ways I have, being that this is only a two year program. Once again this whole pre-registration/registration process was more difficult than really necessary, as I couldn't find all of the classes that I want to register for on my first attempt. I will attempt again tomorrow (the last day of pre-registration), and hopefully have better luck.
I was also able to meet with the chair of the government department this week, and was able to get some ideas for my thesis (he wrote a book that is related to my thesis topic that was just released in August). I am setting up more meetings with other professors for the next couple of weeks-- now I just have to find the time to read everything that I want to. Cody and I were laughing the other day as we walked out of the house about how creepy it would be to break into our place, I have stacks and stacks of books on torture piled at the far end of the couch, near the door (and these books have pretty creepy covers). We decided that if someone were to break into our apartment, they would probably walk right out again, it looks a little weird.
The second round of midterms begin soon. I receive my second stats midterm tomorrow (its a take home), and my second econ midterm is next Wednesday. And after that, it is the beginning of the end-- starting to work on lots of final projects-- my stats project, international institutions paper, intergovernmental systems paper, and labor & global cities paper. It will all be over by the middle of December, and I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing-- it only leaves me about six weeks to get everything done, but its also a sign that I have already made it through quite a bit of the semester.
I keep wondering where we will be a year from now -- and the answer is, I really don't know. It's a little nerve-wracking, but also kind of an exciting opportunity to do something new. I keep trying to maintain a balanced perspective about everything that seems to be coming so quickly-- end of the semester, my thesis, graduation, a job search, a new place to live. Hopefully it will all stay in perspective as long as I need it to.
--brianna

No comments: