Sunday, June 22, 2008

Being Apart

Cody and I have made it through our first anniversary apart now, which was a little weird. When people have asked me to describe it, the only word that I can come up with is anticlimactic. Not that if we were together it would be a whole day celebrating with extravagant gifts or a big vacation or something, but spending the day at work, and then going out to Chipotle with my dad for my anniversary was a little odd-- not exactly what I would have envisioned before making plans to spend the summer in Minneapolis. But, my parents anniversary is tomorrow, and my mom is in Tennessee, so I think that my dad and I will be celebrating his anniversary much in the same way that we celebrated mine.
This whole spending the summer apart thing is getting old by now. I am usually pretty good about not getting all emotional and such (after all, I hadn't shed a tear about this until last night), but I am realizing that this just kinda sucks. It's difficult to have meaningful conversations over the phone, particularly when we have been working fairly opposite shifts most of the time, meaning I am pretty sleepy by the time Cody finishes work. And, sometimes, there are simply conversations that you want to be present for, but that isn't going to happen for another several weeks until Cody comes to visit. I know it is going to be fine, but at times my optimistic view point dims a little.
On the plus side, my internship is going really well-- I have been writing several grants over the past week-- three for a program in the Philips neighborhood that I am pretty excited about, and one for a major international conference that the Foundation is hosting in 2009. And I'm learning all sorts of cool medical terminology that makes me sound like I know what I am talking about, but mostly it has been lots of research on wikipedia to give me definitions to terms like hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
--brianna

No comments: