Monday, August 20, 2007

Disc in Ithaca: Part 1

I played my first round of disc here in Ithaca on Saturday. Thanks to my lovely wife, I found out that there is actually a course in town. Upon further research I found out that Ithaca has its own disc golf club. (discithaca.com) From their website I found out about a temporary couse on the Cornell Campus. I printed off a map of the course and headed out, interested to see what a course would look like in an area with so many trees and hills.
The course was not really what I expected. I will admit that I only played six of the holes because I got lost trying to find holes 6, 7 and 8. That being said, the course didn't really incorporate one technical shot. Every hole was long, open and did I mention, LOOOONG. After six holes I felt like my arm was ready to fall off. It might have something to do with the fact that it was the first round I had played in almost three weeks and the fact that each hole required nearly two full power drives.
The only things that were remotely technical were pin approaches when the pin was placed right on the edge of dense woods. Other than that, wide open.
All that said, I enjoyed the opportunity to get out and play again. I have met a couple of guys at church who are in to disc and I think they are going to take me out to the course at T3 in the next couple weeks. Rumor is, this is a pretty serious course, like, Kaposia/North Valley style. I will hold out hope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear you found disc. Even weak sauce DG is better than no DG at all.

You should be Ithaca's resident DGolf Pro.

Ha! That would be a sweet job!

Peace,
Boal