Sunday, August 19, 2007

Church in Ithaca

This morning was our second week at the Vineyard Church of Ithaca (http://www.ithacavineyard.org/). It is interesting that given all the different churches I have been to, before last week I had never been to a Vineyard church. The thing that struck me from the start was the welcoming nature of congregation. By the time we left the first week we had already been invited to a small group, met a girl who graduated from Bethel and another girl who knew some of our college friends. To top it all off, a girl who works in the HR department at Cornell told me she would keep and eye open for any job openings I might be interested in.
That being said, it has been reaffirmed to me what an amazing an unique opportunity we had in the Twin Cities in The House of Mercy and The Mercy Seat. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, maybe it is out there, but for the life of me I have not been able to locate a church in this area that remotely comes close the nature of those two churches. I find myself longing for a sermon I disagree with, that makes me uncomfortable and leaves me asking questions that there are no easy answers for. It is a hard adjustment to get a Willow Creek sermon series followed by action steps for the week ahead.
It may be that I have simply stepped out of the evangelical realm for too long and just need to readjust. I admit that many times at Crosswinds I should have been forced to deal with these issues, but I was always able to get by it through the justification that it was my job. I could always look forward to going to House in the evening.
I am not sure where this leaves me at this point. I am really excited to get to know the people at the Vineyard, they seem genuinely cool and interested in getting to know us. Maybe I just have to mine the sermon archives on the House website.

No comments: