Sunday, February 1, 2009

I think it's crazy...

that it's February. I have three full months of class left, and then just a couple weeks in May for finals and graduation. I am continually applying for jobs, but don't have a lot in terms of leads yet. We are looking a bit of everywhere, although returning to Minneapolis is a possibility. With the job market being what it is right now, nothing is certain until I have a solid job offer.
It's a little different graduating from grad school than it is finishing at Bethel three years ago. I feel like I have put in a lot of solid work during my time at Cornell, but the pressure is on to make it mean something. Three years ago, I was unmarried, had no student loans, and a job that could continue on after graduation, even if it wasn't ideal. I could move in with my parents if the housing situation didn't work out. It's a lot more complicated now. It's a good complicated, but more difficult to navigate. Occasionally, I wonder what the heck I am supposed to be doing. I want a career that means something, and I know my degree is a step in the right direction towards achieving that career, but I am not seeing exactly what the next step is on the path that is my life. I like knowing what comes next, and I feel like part of being a responsible adult and good wife is planning for the future. But, as much as I would like, I cannot control the future. This is difficult most days, and impossible others.
There are no easy answers, and that is life. But sometimes it makes me mad. Particularly when I have weeks like this one-- where I fell on the ice walking on a path on campus, landed on my elbow, and ended up spending several hours at the doctors office on campus getting x-rays, etc. I ended up in a sling for the week, on painkillers. I am stubborn, and don't like admitting that I need help-- which meant that it took convincing from several people before I went to the campus health center, in spite of the intense pain I was experiencing. But, I don't have time to deal with the setbacks of getting injured. I realize that this is probably a clear signal that I need to be patient (not just about the injury, but with the next few months), but I am not sure what the best way is to do that. There is always so much to do. Hopefully I can figure it out soon.

No comments: